October 10, 2013

October Spinning and Classes

First Classes!  DYO Stocking is this weekend - I am adding some more things to the handout.  Call the shop to sign up.

I signed up for a couple classes (ok they are at events - so I guess we'll do some event prep here).  The last SOAR - Spin-off Autumn Retreat done by Interweave - is in St Charles, not far from home.  I signed up for the retreat portion, Friday and Saturday.  I'm taking an amazing set of classes, spinning new to me fibers, learning about my wheel and I got into Judith MacKenzie's Gentle Art of Plying.  OMG!  So excited!  It's going to be amazing.  I also signed up (because I got a flash sale notice) to get a class at Vogue Knitting Live! in Chicago.  I didn't particualry enjoy my time there last year, but I went to market and to see The Yarn Harlot speak.  I had a good time, but I didn't like the market experience at all.  This time I'm going to take an all day class with Ysolda Teague.  I'm in her Raglan sweater class.  I want to see what I can do to get this shape to fit me.  I love the concept but the increase rate doesn't work quite right for me.

On the spinning front I'm working with the BMFA Prism that I recieved as part of the Rockin' Whorl club.  I sampled a little with some Halloween Fiber this is what I got:

A little too orange.  So I ordered some raven colorway to ply with the rainbow.  Should be fun.

I did work up the Halloween yarn though :)  Hasn't been washed yet, but I've got roughly 1400 yards of a lace weight single (150 grams).  It's so soft and fluffy.  When the bathroom is done being sealed I'll be able to wash and fluff it out.  I'm sure I'll lose some yardage, but I hope to gain some girth (oh my).

I'm partcipating in the 30 day sweater challenge, and I'm using handspun!  yay!  I'm using my Miss Babs BFL that I plied during Tour De Fleece.   It's going to be a Coin Cable Cardigan.  I'm loving my yarn and I'm loving the pattern.


Use your handspun, even if you don't think it's "good enough" - just use it.

Lastly, I will be working on a thrummed mitten or footies class.  Look for some FO's and WIP's on that front!

No comments: